Fortify Rights works to ensure human rights for all. We investigate human rights violations, engage people with power, and strengthen the work of human rights defenders and affected communities. We believe in the influence of evidence-based research, the power of strategic truth telling, and the importance of working in close collaboration with individuals, communities, and movements pushing for change. Fortify Rights is an independent, nonprofit organization based in Southeast Asia and registered in the United States and Switzerland.
The Advocacy Associate supports Fortify Rights’s advocacy work and engagement with policy-makers, influencers, media, and other key stakeholders to advance strategic objectives. They work closely with Fortify Rights’ country-based Human Rights Specialists, Regional Directors, and the executive team to build and expand the organization’s advocacy capacity, monitor human rights developments, and produce and contribute to strategic outputs. The Advocacy Associate provides ongoing advocacy-focused technical support to team members and partners. They are responsible for developing positive working relationships with strategic stakeholders and allies. They serve as a focal point to represent the organization, communicate credible information on human rights situations, and advance strategic objectives. The Advocacy Associate receives support from the Executive Director and strategic direction and technical oversight from the Chief Executive Officer.
- In collaboration with Fortify Rights’s country-based Human Rights Specialists, Regional Director, executive team, and other team members, support, complement, and amplify Fortify Rights’ advocacy work on strategic objectives to advance human rights.
- Monitor human rights developments and serve as a credible, reliable source of human rights information, both internally and externally.
- Draft and assist in the development of original written material, including internal or private memorandums, letters to governments or other stakeholders, submissions to the United Nations or other international bodies, op-eds, and other publications in a timely manner.
- In coordination with relevant team members, build and maintain positive relationships and engage in strategic advocacy with government officials, elected representatives, members of the diplomatic community, representatives of the U.N. and other international agencies, representatives of non-governmental organizations, and other key decision-makers, influencers, and stakeholders.
- Engage regularly with local and mainstream news media outlets, including online, print, television, radio, and other platforms. Respond in a timely and professional manner to requests for comments, interviews, and assistance from members of the media.
- Develop and implement skill-building technical trainings and/or workshops on strategic advocacy to build the capacity of Fortify Rights’s team members and partners. Provide ongoing technical support and facilitate advocacy opportunities for Fortify Rights team members and partners.
- Facilitate the timely and accurate translation of written documents including interview transcripts, publications, research material, etc. Facilitate necessary interpretation to support Fortify Rights’s activities.
- Work closely with Fortify Rights’s development team to contribute to fundraising and monitoring and evaluation processes. Contribute to timely reporting through regular monitoring and reporting on project activities and support the development team in tracking and gathering data to evaluate the progress of projects.
- Work closely in collaboration with the Fortify Rights team to ensure effectiveness, scale the organization’s impact, and ensure sustainability.
- Perform other tasks as requested.
- A degree in relevant fields and/or two years’ work experience.
- Experience working with non-profit organizations in Southeast Asia.
- Familiarity with human rights issues.
- Strong creative-thinking, organizational, problem-solving, and time management skills.
- Ability to self-manage and work efficiently in a fast-paced but flexible environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills, and experience in a multi-ethnic team.
- Sound judgment and ability to take initiative.
- Willingness to travel.
- Fluency in written and verbal English. Additional language skills preferred.