Fortify Rights works to ensure human rights for all. We support human rights defenders and affected communities, investigate human rights violations, and engage people with power on solutions. We believe in the influence of evidence-based research, the power of strategic truth telling, and the importance of working in close collaboration with individuals, communities, and movements pushing for change. Fortify Rights is an independent, nonprofit organization based in Southeast Asia and registered in the United States and Switzerland.
The Visual Design Associate supports the work of Fortify Rights’ Visual Design Specialist and other relevant team members by using the power of design to promote and protect human rights. They work with the Visual Design Specialist to ensure all Fortify Rights’ publications and outputs are accessible, engaging, compelling, and consistent. The Visual Design Associate supports the production and distribution of brand-coherent print and digital material for the organization. The Visual Design Associate may also contribute to skill-building activities and trainings for Fortify Rights’ partners. The Graphic and Digital-Design Associate receives strategic direction and technical oversight from the Visual Design Specialist.
- Work closely with Fortify Rights’ Visual Design Specialist to support the implementation of effective communications strategies.
- In coordination with Fortify Rights’ Visual Design Specialist and other relevant team members, create visually compelling outputs for online engagement with specific audiences.
- Support the design, layout, and development of Fortify Rights’ publications, annual reports, newsletters, and other materials.
- With support from the Fortify Rights’ Visual Design Specialist, create digital formats and interactive materials to expand online audience engagement.
- Support the management of Fortify Rights’ media library and website.
- In coordination with Fortify Rights’ country-based teams, contribute to tailored workshops and participatory trainings for Fortify Rights’ partners including human rights defenders and affected communities, on effective communications’ strategies and technical tools.
- Facilitate the timely and accurate translation of written documents including interview transcripts, publications, research material, etc. Facilitate necessary interpretation to support Fortify Rights’ activities.
- Work closely with Fortify Rights’ development team to contribute to fundraising and monitoring and evaluation processes. Contribute to timely reporting through regular monitoring and reporting on project activities and support the development team in tracking and gathering data to evaluate the progress of projects.
- Work closely in collaboration with the Fortify Rights team to ensure effectiveness, scale the organization’s impact, and ensure sustainability.
- Perform other tasks as requested.
- A relevant degree in digital design, communications, or relevant fields is preferred.
- Demonstrated technical experience in graphic design, infographics, html coding, website management, social media platforms, and email distribution software.
- Experience working with nonprofit organizations in Southeast Asia.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong creative-thinking, organization, problem-solving, and time management skills.
- Ability to self-manage and work efficiently in a fast-paced but flexible environment.
- A willingness to learn and contribute to a positive team environment.
- Familiarity with human rights issues, preferably within the context of Southeast Asia;
- Willingness to travel within Southeast Asia.
- Fluency in written and verbal English required. Additional language skills preferred.