Fortify Rights works to ensure human rights for all. We investigate human rights violations, engage people with power, and strengthen the work of human rights defenders and affected communities. We believe in the influence of evidence-based research, the power of strategic truth telling, and the importance of working in close collaboration with individuals, communities, and movements pushing for change. Fortify Rights is an independent, nonprofit organization based in Southeast Asia and registered in the United States and Switzerland.
The Multimedia Associate supports the Fortify Rights Multimedia Specialists in producing high-impact films and other multimedia content for publication. The Multimedia Associate works closely with Fortify Rights’ team members and partners to advance the development of films, animations, photography projects, audio productions, and other mediums. They also support the Multimedia Specialists in expanding the abilities of human rights defenders and affected communities to use multimedia for the promotion and protection of human rights by facilitating tailored workshops, participatory trainings, and through other means. The Multimedia Associate receives strategic direction and technical oversight from the Multimedia Specialists.
- In collaboration with the Multimedia Specialists, support the production, filming, and editing of high-impact human rights films, photo exhibitions, audio productions, animations, and other media content for distribution online and via other platforms.
- Support the analysis and documentation of human rights violations through multimedia presentations for both public and private distribution. Develop scripts, storyboards, photo captions, and other narrative guides that provide a sound analysis of research findings within the framework of international human rights and humanitarian law along with concrete recommendations to address specific violations
- Prepare in a timely and professional manner materials for external requests for multimedia, including film footage and photographs, and prepare multimedia packages for the news media comprising photographs, film footage, and other materials in advance of events by Fortify Rights and its partners.
- In coordination with Fortify Rights’ country-based teams, contribute to tailored workshops and participatory trainings for Fortify Rights’ partners including human rights defenders and affected communities, on effective communications’ strategies and technical tools.
- Facilitate the timely and accurate translation of written documents including interview transcripts, publications, research material, etc. Facilitate necessary interpretation to support Fortify Rights’ activities.
- Work closely with Fortify Rights’ development team to contribute to fundraising and monitoring and evaluation processes. Contribute to timely reporting through regular monitoring and reporting on project activities and support the development team in tracking and gathering data to evaluate the progress of projects.
- Work closely in collaboration with the Fortify Rights team to ensure effectiveness, scale the organization’s impact, and ensure sustainability.
- Perform other tasks as requested.
- A degree in relevant fields or comparable work experience.
- Experience producing high-quality and creative multimedia projects—including film, photography, and audio production—preferably in the field of human rights or journalism. Basic knowledge of animation is a bonus.
- Experience working with Adobe Creative Suite. Additional experience with Procreate and Blender preferred.
- Experience in all relevant aspects of multimedia work, including script development, storyboarding, video editing, photography, sound recording, motion graphics and animation.
- Experience in international human rights research, documentation, strategic advocacy, working with and providing support to human rights defenders, including at a community-level is preferred.
- Experience working with nonprofit organizations in Southeast Asia.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong creative-thinking, organization, problem-solving, and time management skills.
- Ability to self-manage and work efficiently in a fast-paced but flexible environment.
- A willingness to learn and contribute to a positive team environment.
- Familiarity with human rights issues, preferably within the context of Southeast Asia;
- Willingness to travel within Southeast Asia.
- Fluency in written and verbal English required. Additional language skills preferred.