Fortify Rights works to ensure and defend human rights for all. We investigate human rights violations, engage people with power on solutions, and strengthen human rights defenders. We believe in the influence of evidence-based research, the power of strategic truth telling, and the importance of working in close collaboration with individuals, communities, and movements pushing for change. Fortify Rights is an independent, nonprofit organization registered in the United States and Switzerland.
The Communications Associate plays a key role to maximize Fortify Rights’s audience outreach. The Communications Associate ensures the effective coordination and implementation of Fortify Rights’s communication activities. They will work together with relevant team members to manage Fortify Rights’s online presence and develop innovative platforms to increase audience engagement. The Communications Associate may also be asked to contribute to skill-building activities for Fortify Rights’s partners. The Communications Associate reports to the Executive Director and receives strategic direction and technical oversight from the Chief Executive Officer.
- Work closely with Fortify Rights’ executive team to develop and implement Fortify Rights’ communications plans and policies, including social media and outreach strategies.
- In coordination with Fortify Rights’ relevant team members, produce compelling content for newsletters and online engagement with specific audiences.
- Update and manage Fortify Rights’ online media platforms (e.g., website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.) to ensure information is posted, regularly, accurately, and in an engaging manner.
- Assist in the design and development of Fortify Rights’ publications, annual reports, newsletters, and other materials.
- In coordination with the Graphic & Digital Design Associate, support the development and management of Fortify Rights’ media library.
- Manage and update Fortify Rights’ mailing and contact lists to ensure proper cleaning, segmentation, and distribution of content.
- Work closely with Fortify Rights’ executive team to develop guidelines to support Fortify Rights’ staff, consultants, fellows, partners, Board members, and advisors in their communications work.
- In coordination with Fortify Rights’ country-based teams, contribute to tailored workshops and participatory trainings for Fortify Rights’ partners including human rights defenders and affected communities, on effective communications’ strategies and tools.
- Work with relevant team members to contribute to fundraising initiatives and monitoring and evaluation processes. Contribute to the timely reporting of project activities, expenses, and impacts.
- Perform other tasks as requested
- Degree in relevant fields or comparable work experience in communications, journalism, and/or marketing.
- Demonstrated experience creatively telling stories using multiple means and platforms.
- Strong writing/editing skills and attention to detail.
- Experience working with nonprofit organizations in Asia.
- Familiarity with human rights issues, preferably within the context of Asia.
- Ability to self-manage and work efficiently in a fast-paced but flexible environment. A willingness to learn and contribute to a positive team environment. A desire for innovation and creative solutions to complex problems.
- Willingness to travel within Asia. This may include travel to remote and potentially insecure areas.
- Fluency in written and verbal English required. Additional language skills preferred.
- Applicants from Asia preferred.