Location: Southeast Asia
Fortify Rights works to ensure and defend human rights for all. We investigate human rights violations, engage people with power on solutions, and strengthen human rights defenders. We believe in the influence of evidence-based research, the power of strategic truth telling, and the importance of working in close collaboration with individuals, communities, and movements pushing for change. Fortify Rights is an independent, nonprofit organization registered in the United States and Switzerland.
The Communications Associate plays a key role to maximize Fortify Rights’s audience outreach. The Communications Associate ensures the effective coordination and implementation of Fortify Rights’s communication activities. They will work together with relevant team members to manage Fortify Rights’s online presence, develop innovative platforms, and produce compelling content to increase audience engagement on strategic issues. The Communications Associate also contributes to knowledge and skill-building activities for Fortify Rights’s partners.
- Work closely with Fortify Rights’s director team and existing Communications Associate to develop and implement Fortify Rights’s communications plans and policies, including social media and outreach strategies.
- In coordination with Fortify Rights’s relevant team members, produce compelling content to expand engagement with strategic audiences.
- Update and manage Fortify Rights’s online media platforms (e.g., website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.) to ensure information is posted, regularly, accurately, and in an engaging manner.
- Assist in the design, development, and distribution of Fortify Rights’s publications, annual reports, newsletters, and other materials.
- Develop positive working relationships with journalists, media outlets, and other stakeholders to support and expand the distribution and coverage of Fortify Rights publications, events, and other activities.
- Work closely with Fortify Rights’s team members and stakeholders to organize on- and offline events and serve as a coordinator in promoting the events.
- Manage and update Fortify Rights’s mailing and contact lists to ensure proper cleaning, segmentation, and distribution of content.
- Work closely with Fortify Rights’s director team and existing Communications Associate to develop guidelines to support Fortify Rights’s staff, consultants, fellows, partners, Board members, and advisors in their communications work.
- In coordination with Fortify Rights’s country-based teams, contribute to tailored workshops and participatory trainings for Fortify Rights’s partners including human rights defenders and affected communities, on effective communications’ strategies and tools.
- Work with relevant team members to contribute to fundraising initiatives and monitoring and evaluation processes. Contribute to the timely reporting of project activities, expenses, and impacts.
- Perform other tasks as requested.
- Degree in relevant fields or comparable work experience in communications, journalism, and/or marketing.
- Demonstrated experience creatively telling stories using multiple means and platforms.
- Strong writing/editing skills and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of social media content production. A keen interest in all things digital.
- Experience working with nonprofit organizations in Asia.
- Familiarity with human rights issues, preferably within the context of Asia.
- Ability to self-manage and work efficiently in a fast-paced but flexible environment. A willingness to learn and contribute to a positive team environment. A desire for innovation and creative solutions to complex problems.
- Willingness to travel within Asia. This may include travel to remote and potentially insecure areas.
- Fluency in written and verbal English required. Additional language skills preferred.
- Applicants from Asia preferred.