Work With Us
Thailand Finance Specialist
Contract: 1 year, renewable
Start Date: TBD
Compensation: Competitive with benefits
Fortify Rights is a non-profit, nongovernmental organization that works to prevent and remedy human rights violations. The organization investigates human rights violations, engages people with power, and strengthens responses to abuses through trainings and collaborative support for human rights defenders. Fortify Rights currently works in Southeast Asia and is a registered organization in Switzerland and the United States. Founded in 2013, Fortify Rights began its work in Myanmar. The long-term vision of Fortify Rights is to replicate its two-person country-based model in countries beyond the Asia Pacific region in order to work closely with human rights defenders and communities to strengthen human rights throughout the world.
The Finance Specialist is responsible for the overall management of the financial and accounting functions for Fortify Rights’ operations. The Finance Specialists’ responsibilities include development and implementation of sound financial policies, systems, and processes; preparation and oversight of financial reports, budgets, and statements; oversight of asset control mechanisms; and facilitation of payroll and banking transactions. The Finance Specialist reports to the Executive Directors and works closely with Fortify Rights’ Development Specialist and operations team. The Finance Specialist is an integral member of Fortify Rights’ young and growing team.
- Ensure all polices and procedures comply with organizational financial and donor policies, procedures, and requirements. As required, establish and amend financial policies and systems to ensure compliance with generally accepted accounting principles and with a view towards strengthening the management of Fortify Rights’ financial operations.
- Oversee the management and implementation of Fortify Rights’ financial policies, systems, and processes. Ensure all finance activities and schedules are completed in line with donor and development-related deadlines and compliance requirements.
- In coordination with Executive Directors and the Operations team, monitor grant spending to ensure timely expenditure of donor funds, on-time project closure, and adherence to donor regulations.
- Closely monitor all financial activities and proactively identify and advise the Executive Directors on all situations that have the potential for a negative impact on Fortify Rights’ operations or financial performance.
- Provide financial guidance to Executive Directors and assist in the development of organizational and programmatic budgets, spending forecast statements, and other financial statements.
- Prepare financial reports within appropriate formats as requested by Executive Directors or as required by donors. Develop reporting formats to aid in the management of grant, program, and country-level operations.
- Prepare and provide Executive Directors with monthly financial analysis and actual-versus- budget expenditure reports for all grants and unrestricted funds. Ensure balance sheet reconciliations are completed on a monthly basis.
- Monitor and inform the Executive Directors and Development Specialists of donation and grant- related deposits in order to coordinate the notification of delivery and receipt of funds to donors and grant-makers.
- Oversee all bank relations and account activities, including negotiation of fees, tracking of transfers, and maintenance of debit cards.
- Maintain knowledge of government requirements related to financial matters and ensures compliance with tax regulations. Prepares and ensures timely filing of U.S. tax returns.
- Facilitate and coordinate internal as well as independent audits and initiate necessary action to address deficiencies identified through the audit process.
- Oversee the protection of the organizational assets through the development and enforcement of internal control policies and procedures.
- Manage and facilitate the payroll process, money transfer requests, and reimbursement claims to ensure all payments are provided on a timely and accurate basis. Oversee the maintenance and upgrade of Fortify Rights’ payroll and banking systems.
- As necessary, provide training and support to team members on financial policies and procedures as well as asset management to improve accountability and compliance throughout the organization.
- Support the recruitment, orientation, management, performance appraisal, and professional development of accountants and finance support staff as necessary.
- Carry out other duties as requested.
- Post-graduate degree in relevant fields. At least 5 years of experience overseeing financial operations within a NGO working internationally and receiving multiple sources of funding.
- Experience and strong understanding of donor regulations and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Familiarity and ability to navigate U.S. banking systems.
- Strong knowledge in computerized accounting, standard spreadsheet, and payroll programs.
- Ability to prepare financial reports, statements, and reports in a timely manner.
- High attention to detail, sound judgment, ability to take initiative and provide constructive feedback, and strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team and to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, cross-cultural communication, and experience in a multi-ethnic team.
- Willingness to travel within Southeast Asia.
- Fluency in English required. Additional language skills. Strong computer skills (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint).
To be discussed with short-listed candidates
Compensation & Benefits
To be discussed with short-listed candidates
How To Apply
Please send a copy of your CV and a cover letter to email@example.com. We may shortlist before the closing date advertised due to the urgency of the recruitment.